I. Issue Awareness
II. Issue Discussion and Comment Period
- The submitted issue is sent around and discussed by staff volunteers via email. The comment period typically lasts anywhere from one week to one month.
- A decision is typically reached by consensus among the staff in attendance at the monthly meeting at the time the decision is made.
The team uses the following criteria to evaluate a potential campaign idea:
- Is the desired result clear and directly actionable?
- Does it bridge issues and/or communities? We want to find ways of presenting inter-related issues in a framework that enables groups other than those initiating the campaign to support it.
- Do we have the potential to make an impact with an action campaign? Is it winnable? Will it win without our help?
- Does it help us build relationships with other organizations – by responding to a request from them, working with them on a campaign, or outreaching to their members?
- Is it consistent with the progressive values stated in our core mission statement?
- Does it represent innovative policy that provides a creative answer to a problem?
III. Issue Dissemination
- Based on the consensus of our volunteer staff, an Informational or Action Alert is developed by a staff member.
- The Alert is reviewed within 48 hours by staff, and sent out to those who are most directly affected and in a position to respond effectively.