Onward Oregon wants to call your attention to the FERC Jordan Cove (Coos Bay) hearings and opportunity to comment:
The proposal is to build a pipeline from the OR-CA border to transport natural gas to Coos Bay where it will converted to LNG for overseas shipment. The process of conversion (cryogenic cooling) is energy intensive and will require an on-site power plant which will release large quantities of CO2. Please use the following information and links to become an informed participant.
Onward Oregon opposes the Jordan Cove project for the following reasons:
1) A for-profit pipeline built for resource export is not a National priority for energy security and MUST NOT be built using Eminent Domain for property acquisition – this violates the basic requirements of eminent domain.
2) The burning of natural gas necessary to power the cryogenic facility would release large quantities of CO2 and create a major source of carbon in the US, thus violating recent state and national goals for emissions reduction.
3) The potential catastrophic risk to the Coos Bay/ North Bend area cannot be fully mitigated, particularly due to the location of the facility near flightpaths to and from a regional airport
4) It is important for Oregon to make a symbolic statement against US & world over-dependence on fossil fuels when technologies are available to create a sustainable energy future .
Please take a few moments to add your comments to the regulators
* Some issues to bring to FERC’s attention may be found here:
* Step by step guidelines for submitting comments to FERC can be found here:
* Cascadia Wildlands FERC guidelines here:
* Notice of Availability of the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the Proposed Jordan Cove Liquefaction and Pacific Connector Pipeline Projects re Jordan Cove Energy Project LP et al under CP13-483 et al.
Events to Attend:
All meetings will begin at 6:00 PM and are scheduled as follows:
( If you can’t attend in person, you can submit your comments by email using the guidelines above.)
Monday, December 8, 2014 Southwest Oregon Community College
Hales Performing Arts Center
1988 Newmark Ave.
Coos Bay, OR 97420
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 Umpqua Community College
1140 Umpqua College Rd.
Roseburg, OR 97470
Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Seven Feathers Casino-Hotel & Convention Center
146 Chief Miwaleta Ln.
Canyonville, OR 97417
800-548-8461 ext. 1218
Thursday, December 11, 2014
Central Medford High School
815 S. Oakdale Ave.
Medford, OR 97501
Friday, December 12, 2014
Oregon Institute of Technology
College Union Auditorium
3201 Campus Dr.
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
Saturday, December 13, 2014
Malin Community Hall
2307 Front St.
Malin, OR 97632